A friend of mine had this problem where his computer would take more than 10 minutes to just get start up. The reason was his computer had hard time starting up as he had a lot of hidden programs loaded in start up. He was on the phone asking me about the solution. I just told him to first check the “MSCONFIG” menu. He was like, “MS.. What?” That’s when I realized that he isn’t advanced user and that I needed to be there in order to maintain his computer. I just thought may be I should write up something about MSCONFIG so that people may know how to use it.
First of all let me give a small introduction about MSCONFIG. MSCONFIG is just a small form of “Microsoft System Configuration Utility” which is a built in Windows special tool. It is designed to help you troubleshoot problems with your computer which ensure that your computer boots faster and crashes less. Almost everyone knows that your computer will be slow or can even crash when you run a lot of programs in your computer. Most of the people have the programs running from the starting up point as there are a lot of hidden programs running in the background before the Windows even run or after Windows is running. Some of these hidden programs are essential, but most of them are just useless. Turning off some of these hidden programs can significantly increase your computer’s performance and reliability, and this is where MSCONFIG helps terminating those unwanted hidden programs.
You can simply run the MSCONFIG tool in Windows XP by following the process below:
- Go to Start Menu-> Run
- Type ‘MSCONFIG’
- Microsoft’s System Configuration Utility will launch.
- Click on the Startup tab.
- You will then view a list of startup items. Startup items are programs that are automatically loaded every time you turn on your computer. So you can simply uncheck the check box and remove the unwanted programs to run next time.
- Click on OK button.
- A message will pop up which will say “You must restart your computer for some of the changes made by System Configuration to take effect.” Click on “Restart” and your computer will automatically reboot or “Exit Without Restart” if you want to carry on with the projects you are currently working on your computer.
You Should Also Check Out This Post:
- Manage Conference Calls With Complete Web-based Controls
- Share Internet Connection To Android, Tablet, and Other Devices Without Tethering or ad-hoc
- Searching For Free International Calls Online
- How to disable Mozilla Firefox Plugin check “https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/”
- Employee Time Management via Time Clock Software